[ltp] Re: How to determine which sensors lm-sensors is seeing???

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:03:28 -0400

Daniel Castro wrote:
> if you do
> ~$ glxgears
> that will stress your GPU and you should see the temp raising on one of
> those 3 unknown, i think i did this already and found they where not
> raising...
> see the thinkpad i'm using at this moment is a T61p with nvidia, so
> ibm-acpi reports GPU and it does give a reading, but also nvidia's got
> it own sensor and also reports some temp readings, which funny enough is
> different from the one reported by imb-acpi, the nvidia one always
> report like 10 more... i personally keep an eye on the nvidia one....
>
> 2009/7/30 Shannon McMackin <smcmackin@gmail.com
> <mailto:smcmackin@gmail.com>>
>
>     Daniel Castro wrote:
>

>         2009/7/30 Shannon McMackin <smcmackin@gmail.com
>         <mailto:smcmackin@gmail.com> <mailto:smcmackin@gmail.com
>         <mailto:smcmackin@gmail.com>>>
>

>            lm-sensors generates some very generic labels.  How can one
>            determine which sensors are being detected?
>
>         it depends on your thinkpad model....
>         have a look at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Thermal_Sensors
>

>            I'm using the sensors-applet for gnome and the ibm_acpi
>         sensors are
>            more detailed, but the GPU is reading a false number of
>         -128C.  I'm
>            assuming lm-sensors is finding the actual reading of the GPU,
>         but I
>            can't tell which one is which...
>
>         -128 means no sensor
>
>         the thinkpad i am at now for example (T61) shows -128 (no
>         sensor) for GPU also... it's got an intel integrated video card
>         so i guess it has no sensor...
>

>            --    The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
>

>         --
>         ________________________
>
>         Daniel Castro, M.Sc.
>         +353 083-318-2058
>         dancasmo@gmail.com <mailto:dancasmo@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:dancasmo@gmail.com <mailto:dancasmo@gmail.com>>
>         castromd@tcd.ie <mailto:castromd@tcd.ie> <mailto:castromd@tcd.ie
>         <mailto:castromd@tcd.ie>>
>         ________________________
>
>     I did and saw the list you generated for the T61 which is what I
>     have. I'm wondering if one of those other 3 unknown devices might be
>     the GPU.  I suppose the GPU might not have a sensor and that I could
>     rely on the main temp as an indicator.
>
>     I was having some overheating issues on this T61 running Karmic
>     Alpha 3 thanks to a Metacity bug causing CPU pegging.  I was hoping
>     to monitor the GPU directly because over time I would experience
>     some video degradation with the CPU pegged.
>
>     Switching to Emerald stopped the CPU condition and temps have been
>     nominal, though I might still call in to get a new fan...
>

>     --
>

> --
>
> Daniel Castro, M.Sc.
> +353 083-318-2058
> dancasmo@gmail.com <mailto:dancasmo@gmail.com>
> castromd@tcd.ie <mailto:castromd@tcd.ie>
> [...]
I ran glxgears and monitored all 8 or 9 available sensors and none of
them moved except for temp1 which is the CPU.  Leads me to believe that
the integrated Intel GPU has no sensor.  Someone indicated on ThinkWiki
that the T500 was just like the T61 and they found the GPU to be #9, but
it didn't change...