[ltp] Re: [Re: Best Linux distro for ThinkPad T61...]

Chris Penn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:22:01 -0700

--0016e6d27ed1578cd5046b65cfd8

correction
"because it causes *compatibility** issues with new *hard*ware*"

Chris...

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Chris Penn <cantormath@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issues I have had with suse are, for a desktop (not a server), SuSe
> runs a bit slugish, SuSe take a while to install, the package management =
is
> a pain compared to .deb files( ie dependency checking), and the porting o=
> new software/apps/kernel or new versions of software is slower then with
> other distributions.  That last one is the deal breaker for me most of th=
> time (w.r.t. desktops only) because it causes compatibility issues with n=
ew
> software.  YES, one can always install the newest drivers etc etc, but I
> dont need to with debian or ubuntu most of the time, and if I do, it is
> easier to do with debian or ubuntu.
>
> Novell has signed agreements with Microsoft to avoid getting sued when th=
ey
> shouldn't have.  This is unrelated to performance, but still bothers me.
>
> Chris...
>
> 2009/6/2 "Karsten K=F6nig" <remur@gmx.net>
>

>> > Yves Dorfsman wrote:
>> >
>> > Surely, mp3 isn't sufficient reason to choose Ubuntu.  OpenSuse includ=
es
>> > variety of open source and proprietary mp3 software.
>> >
>> > I don't know what world you're in.  By not supporting LSB, Ubuntu make=
>> > difficulties for a fair amount of commercial as well as free software.
>> >

>> openSUSE mp3 decoder is fluendo gstreamer, which had to be dropped for t=
he
>> next release (fluendo wasn't specific about the reason last time I check=
ed),
>> but I don't see that as a problem, most Fedora and openSUSE users add th=
eir
>> respective 3rd party addon repository "RPM Fusion" for Fedora or "Packma=
n"
>> for openSUSE, a simple update will then allow you mp3 playback and
>> everything else you might need what is encumbered with legal issues.
>>
>> I am using openSUSE 11.1 on my T400 and it's running pretty nice, things
>> that are important to me like KDE and virtualbox can be updated by using=
 the
>> buildservice, so there is also not much pressure to jump to the most
>> bleeding edge distribution.
>> But that's personal taste, most distributions hardware support is more o=
>> less equal, so any current distribution should be fine.
>> Ubuntu 9.04 does have a quite problematic intel video driver though, so
>> maybe use an earlier release in case you want ubuntu.
>>

>> Karsten
>> --
>>

> --
> "As we open our newspapers or watch our television screens, we seem to be
> continually assaulted by the fruits of Mankind's stupidity."
> -Roger Penrose

--=20
"As we open our newspapers or watch our television screens, we seem to be
continually assaulted by the fruits of Mankind's stupidity."
-Roger Penrose

--0016e6d27ed1578cd5046b65cfd8

n Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Chris Penn <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">The issues I have=
 had with suse are, for a desktop (not a server), SuSe runs a bit slugish, =
SuSe take a while to install, the package management is a pain compared to =
.deb files( ie dependency checking), and the porting of new software/apps/k=
ernel or new versions of software is slower then with other distributions.=
=A0 That last one is the deal breaker for me most of the time (w.r.t. deskt=
ops only) because it causes compatibility issues with new software.=A0 YES,=
 one can always install the newest drivers etc etc, but I dont need to with=
 debian or ubuntu most of the time, and if I do, it is easier to do with de=
bian or ubuntu.<br>

they shouldn&#39;t have.=A0 This is unrelated to performance, but still bot=
uot;Karsten K=F6nig&quot; <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:remur@gmx=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div><br>
&gt; Yves Dorfsman wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Surely, mp3 isn&#39;t sufficient reason to choose Ubuntu. =A0OpenSuse =
includes a<br>
&gt; variety of open source and proprietary mp3 software.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I don&#39;t know what world you&#39;re in. =A0By not supporting LSB, U=
buntu makes<br>
&gt; difficulties for a fair amount of commercial as well as free software.=
&gt;<br>
r the next release (fluendo wasn&#39;t specific about the reason last time =
I checked), but I don&#39;t see that as a problem, most Fedora and openSUSE=
 users add their respective 3rd party addon repository &quot;RPM Fusion&quo=
t; for Fedora or &quot;Packman&quot; for openSUSE, a simple update will the=
n allow you mp3 playback and everything else you might need what is encumbe=
red with legal issues.<br>

I am using openSUSE 11.1 on my T400 and it&#39;s running pretty nice, thing=
s that are important to me like KDE and virtualbox can be updated by using =
the buildservice, so there is also not much pressure to jump to the most bl=
eeding edge distribution.<br>

But that&#39;s personal taste, most distributions hardware support is more =
or less equal, so any current distribution should be fine.<br>
Ubuntu 9.04 does have a quite problematic intel video driver though, so may=
be use an earlier release in case you want ubuntu.<br>
Karsten<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>