[ltp] Loosing alsa, under Debian, on ThinkPad T61...

Деян Дойчев linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Jun 2009 19:25:45 +0300

Petar Milin wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Check if you have the latest version of libasound2(1.0.20-2) and
>> lib32asound2(1.0.20-2). There was a problem with version 1.0.20-1.
>> When I upgraded to 1.0.20-1 skype started crashing on my machine with
>> a message (I can't remember now) about alsa. Fortunately debian
>> people fixed it fast.
>> Hope this helps.
>> Deyan.
>
> I have the latest libasound2, but I have not lib32asound2 at all. I
> only have lib64asound2 and it is not installed. When I poke it, I see
> it is dependent on libc6-amd64 and I run Intel. So, I think it would
> not me wise to install lib64asound2, would it?
>
> Best,
> PM
No, you don't have to install lib64asound2.
Skype is a 32bit application and you are obviously using 32bit Debian so
if libasound2 really is the latest version (1.0.20-2) it should be OK.
Skype has an option to automatically adjust your mixer levels. You can
try to stop it (from Options -> Sound Devices), purge the configuration
files and reinstall again (as you have done) and see if you have no mic
again (please also try with something different than skype). Then try
skype again. You may need to adjust mixer levels by hand.
Deyan.