[ltp] R61 Volume buttons

Tosh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:31:42 +0200

Pablo Gallenti wrote:
> Hi
> Volume buttons not working in my R61 I using Mepis 8.
> I have no idea how to configure, the sound is heard
> In my old T 41 worked.
>

> --
> Atentamente
> Pablo A Gallenti
> GNU / Linux User: 348409

I presume your buttons are software buttons, open a terminal and type
xev then press the buttons to see what keycode they produce (write them
down, remember them).
You will have to assign the keycode to the function, there are two ways
to do this afaik :

(1) edit xmod, /etc/X11/Xmodmap, adding
keycode <number> = XF86VolumeLowerVolume
keycode <number> = XF86VolumeRaiseVolume
!!! REMARK : this is systemwide, the keycodes are the ones Gnome uses,
maybe it is different for kde

(2) edit your keyboard shortcuts, Menu => System => Preferences =>
Keyboard Shortcuts, by pressing the buttons you will assign them to the
shortcut
!!! REMARK : this only works for Gnome and is user specific

--
Toshaan <toshlinux@gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be