[ltp] Installing from Recovery CDs in VirtualBox

Tue, 09 Jun 2009 23:33:33 +0100

Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 19:18:33 +0200
> Michael Gaber <Michael.Gaber@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Yves-Alexis Perez schrieb:
>>> I don't think that would be possible, and I don't think the Windows
>>> license for your Thinkpad would allow you that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>> i don't see why installing the XP you own inside a VM should not be
>> allowed as long as you don't install it inside a vm that is running on a
>> system using the same serial
>>

> Because the xp you own (assuming that it came with the machine) is an oem copy
> that you are not allowed to transfer to another computer. I don't know if a
> virtual machine counts as another computer and wether installing it twice, once
> by itself and once inside a virtaul machine counts as two installs though.

I think you're allowed to install in a VM, as long as you remove the
original install. If the VM is running on your actual OEM hardware, that
should be fine. Also, you'd be better to take an existing XP CD, and
just use your own product key with it - the recovery CDs usually restore
your system to how IBM ship it, whereas for a VM, you probably want a
very generic install.

Also, I think VMWare have a tool for taking a physical machine and
virtualising it.

Richard