[ltp] X60 power consumption

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:16:47 +0100

Dear X60 users,

I recall some people mentioning power-consumptions in the region of 6-8W
for an X60. I'm getting 11W, even after following all the
power-reduction instructions on thinkwiki (inc. min backlight). Does
anyone have any particular tips?  What battery life would you expect
from a new 8-cell pack?

I've already swapped out the HDD for an SSD (does the writeback time and
laptop-mode stuff still apply here? Does it make a difference that I'm
using it in Compatibility mode rather than AHCI mode - as suggested by
the manufacturer, OCZ).

Does having 4GB RAM hurt power-consumption?

Does turning the wireless power down hurt range, or just throughput?
(the AP is not very close)

Also, it's hard to know which of the tips make a big difference, and
which don't. For example, does suspending the soundcard save a few mW,
or a substantial power? If I have bluetooth already switched off with
Fn-F5, is it really off?

One of the powertop suggestions causes the system to emit a faint
buzzing when I move the mouse pointer!

Thanks,

Richard

P.S. Am currently running a stock Ubuntu Jaunty system. Was 17W
originally. CPU is Core 2, T2500.