[ltp] T61 power connector (male part): where to get?

Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:38:01 +0100

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> hello
>
> i just purchased a universal car-to-notebook dc-dc-converter, assuming,
> that it might provide a plug suitable to be plugged in into my t61,
> since i was confident, that thinkpads are quite common and considered
> 'standard' somehow.

The plug design is deliberately incompatible, because the voltages are
different. If your "universal" supply is a 15V rather than 20V one, it
won't work properly.

You can get multi-voltage thinkpad supplies which run on mains or car
voltages. Or, you can get cheap 12V to 240V boosters, which then plug
your main TP adapter into.

Or, if you feel very brave, disassemble the product you bought and
modify it. Most Switch-Mode power-supplies have the output voltage
configured by a pair of resistors; the datasheet (alldatasheets.com) for
the chip will tell you how to calculate it.

Richard

P.S. Does anyone know why the new supplies are higher voltage than the
older ones? I thought that the newer CPUs ran on *lower* voltages.