[ltp] T61 Keyboard

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:31:02 -0700

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:33:38 +0100
Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> dijo:

> Marius Gedminas wrote:

> > Assuming none of the plastic has broken off (which it shouldn't have;
> > "use a little force" is how you take the keycaps off) it should be
> > simple.  Put the keycap back on and press it down firmly until you hear
> > a click.

That doesn't work. That is, the right side clicks in, but the left side
is loose. The keycap doesn't fall off if I hold the computer upside
down, but it is wobbly.

> Sometimes it helps to engage the back of the key (the edge nearest the
> screen) before you do the front. Play with the mechanism a bit to see
> how it works.
>
> (If you have broken the key, you can get individual spares for about $2
> on eBay, or a new keyboard for about $20).

Thanks for the info about new keyboards, in case that is necessary. My
previous computer was a Compaq and eventually I had to replace the
keyboard. I got a new one on eBay for $50 and it didn't take much
effort to install it.

The keycap is not broken, but there is a white plastic thing underneath
that may be broken. It's weird and I can't figure out how it's supposed
to attach to the keycap. Or maybe the white plastic thing is just the
spring that keeps the keycap up. Yet, when I press down on the keycap
the right side of the keycap hooks into the right side of the white
plastic. Looking at the underneath of the keycap closely with a
magnifying glass the right side has a couple little tits that the right
side of the white plastic thing sticks into. However, the left side of
the keycap has no tits and the left side of the white plastic thing
doesn't look as though it would fit into anything on the underside of
the keycap anyway.

I think I need to find blowup images of how the thing is supposed to be
attached.