[ltp] T61 power connector (male part): where to get?

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 20:57:50 +0200

Yves Dorfsman schrieb:
> Richard Neill wrote:
>>
>> P.S. Does anyone know why the new supplies are higher voltage than the
>> older ones? I thought that the newer CPUs ran on *lower* voltages.
>
> I don't know for a fact, but I have assumed that since they are drawing
> more power (overall wattage), bumping up the voltage enabled them not to
> increase the size of the cable.

In theory this could be a reason but I strongly doubt it - the current
is not that high that this would make big difference.

I think this rather to be another "make it simpler and cheaper"
decision. It is easier to design switching regulators if your target
voltage compared to your input voltage is lower. So setting up a
regulator for 24V -> 5V is much easier than 7V -> 5V (and especially
keep the output voltage nicely even without ripple or drops even under
higher load).

Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de