[ltp] T61 power connector (male part): where to get?

Roman Haefeli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 00:35:35 +0200

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 16:38 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:

> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > i just purchased a universal car-to-notebook dc-dc-converter, assuming,
> > that it might provide a plug suitable to be plugged in into my t61,
> > since i was confident, that thinkpads are quite common and considered
> > 'standard' somehow.
>
> The plug design is deliberately incompatible, because the voltages are
> different. If your "universal" supply is a 15V rather than 20V one, it
> won't work properly.

yeah, i read about changes from 16V to 20V.

> You can get multi-voltage thinkpad supplies which run on mains or car
> voltages. Or, you can get cheap 12V to 240V boosters, which then plug
> your main TP adapter into.
>
> Or, if you feel very brave, disassemble the product you bought and
> modify it. Most Switch-Mode power-supplies have the output voltage
> configured by a pair of resistors; the datasheet (alldatasheets.com) for
> the chip will tell you how to calculate it.

not necessary, since my dc-dc-converter lets me set the desired output
voltage (from 15V up to 24V). my main problem is that i have troubles
finding the correct plug. i only found it as part of the thinkpad power
supply and i don't want to buy another psu just for the plug. it seems,
that this design is only used by lenovo products, which is a bit
annoying. i understand the idea of making the new plug deliberately not
fitting anymore to older thinkpads (in order to not fry them), but was
it necessary to use something completely new?

for my part, i'll get some standardized neutrik (or whatsoever) female
and male plugs and insert them into the cable, so that i can easily
switch between the original thinkpad psu and the dc-dc-converter.

thanks for all the answers

roman