[ltp] Again, what distro for my T61...

Dan Maranville linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:50:14 -0400

--001485f6d910bfa066046d051b76

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 06:29, Petar Milin <pmilin@ff.uns.ac.rs> wrote:

> Hello ALL!
> I am still struggling in finding right distro for my T61. I tried Mandriva
> and Fedora 11, but neither of the two impressed me -- many smaller
> non-working issues. Now, I am in between Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian Lenny. Thing
> is that I am most used to those, that is for sure. But I stopped using
> Ubuntu since Gutsy and moved to Debian being disappointed with the former.
> Then, when Lenny became stable, I remained with testing, and it is very
> shaky -- things stopped working, some crashed etc.
>
> Hence, ultimately, what distro would behave extra stable on my T61 with
> nvidia?
>
> Obviously no testing branches....

I assume, in your opinion, you must have the nVidia drivers? I use Ubuntu
9.04 on my Desktop with a nVidia card without the binary blob and it works
and looks fine. Sure there is no Compiz and the like, but I Can deal.

On my R61 without nVidia(Intel) I use 9.04x64 and it just works, which is a
nice switch from say Centos.  I thought of using i386 instead but didn't
want to install the PAE kernel to get the full 4GB.

So, IMO try OpenSuse <--- Support should be good(think T61p) and Ubuntu. If
Ubuntu is not all that and a bag of chips, then try an offshoot like Mint.

HTH

--
Dan Maranville

--001485f6d910bfa066046d051b76

te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204)=
; margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hello ALL!<br>
I am still struggling in finding right distro for my T61. I tried Mandriva =
and Fedora 11, but neither of the two impressed me -- many smaller non-work=
ing issues. Now, I am in between Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian Lenny. Thing is tha=
t I am most used to those, that is for sure. But I stopped using Ubuntu sin=
ce Gutsy and moved to Debian being disappointed with the former. Then, when=
 Lenny became stable, I remained with testing, and it is very shaky -- thin=
gs stopped working, some crashed etc.<br>

Hence, ultimately, what distro would behave extra stable on my T61 with nvi=
dia?<br>
r opinion, you must have the nVidia drivers? I use Ubuntu 9.04 on my Deskto=
p with a nVidia card without the binary blob and it works and looks fine. S=
ure there is no Compiz and the like, but I Can deal.=C2=A0 <br>
is a nice switch from say Centos.=C2=A0 I thought of using i386 instead but=
 didn&#39;t want to install the PAE kernel to get the full 4GB.<br><br>So, =
IMO try OpenSuse &lt;--- Support should be good(think T61p) and Ubuntu. If =
Ubuntu is not all that and a bag of chips, then try an offshoot like Mint.<=
br>

--001485f6d910bfa066046d051b76--