[ltp] Again, what distro for my T61...

Dan Maranville linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:51:49 -0400

> I am still struggling in finding right distro for my T61. I tried Mandriv=
a and Fedora 11, but neither of the two impressed me -- many smaller non-wo=
rking issues. Now, I am in between Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian Lenny. Thing is t=
hat I am most used to those, that is for sure. But I stopped using Ubuntu s=
ince Gutsy and moved to Debian being disappointed with the former. Then, wh=
en Lenny became stable, I remained with testing, and it is very shaky -- th=
ings stopped working, some crashed etc.

> Hence, ultimately, what distro would behave extra stable on my T61 with n=
vidia?

Obviously no testing branches....

I assume, in your opinion, you must have the nVidia drivers? I use
Ubuntu 9.04 on my Desktop with a nVidia card without the binary blob
and it works and looks fine. Sure there is no Compiz and the like, but
I Can deal.

On my R61 without nVidia(Intel) I use 9.04x64 and it just works, which
is a nice switch from say Centos.  I thought of using i386 instead but
didn't want to install the PAE kernel to get the full 4GB.

So, IMO try OpenSuse <--- Support should be good(think T61p) and
Ubuntu. If Ubuntu is not all that and a bag of chips, then try an
offshoot like Mint.

HTH

PS. Sorry about the Rich text version last time.

--
Dan Maranville