[ltp] Again, what distro for my T61...

Roman Haefeli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:36:30 +0200

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 12:29 +0200, Petar Milin wrote:
> Hello ALL!
> I am still struggling in finding right distro for my T61. I tried
> Mandriva and Fedora 11, but neither of the two impressed me -- many
> smaller non-working issues. Now, I am in between Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian
> Lenny. Thing is that I am most used to those, that is for sure. But I
> stopped using Ubuntu since Gutsy and moved to Debian being disappointed
> with the former. Then, when Lenny became stable, I remained with
> testing, and it is very shaky -- things stopped working, some crashed etc.
>
> Hence, ultimately, what distro would behave extra stable on my T61 with
> nvidia?

hi

i am the owner of a t61 6460-D6G and i am still running ubuntu 8.04 with
the linux-rt kernel. it worked well for me, so far, without having to
twiddle around a lot.

a few things, that are important for me:
- nvidia 169.12 behaves well, i never experienced obviously graphics
related crashes.
- audio has very good quality and low latency with jack
- i compiled phc-control and it seems to work and saves some power
- wireless has never been a problem (wpa and wpa2 support included)
- bluetooth works
- suspend-to-ram works reliably

not so important for me:
- the thinkfinger works, although i am not using it.
- i can access the accelerometer for hdaps. it's fun to play with

what's not working, but isn't critical for me:
- the 'wifi'-led doesn't light up, when wireless is on
  (that is fixed in more recent version of ubuntu)
- fn-f7 for switching displays. i use the nvidia-settings tool for
managing displays anyway.
- the blue 'thinkvantage' key doesn't seem to do anything. though, i
don't know what it would be supposed to do.

so much about the hardware support of ubuntu 8.04....now, decide
yourself.

roman