[ltp] Fedora-11 on T23 - very slow

Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:01:38 +0300

--+JUInw4efm7IfTNU

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:11:57AM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I installed Fedora-11 on my newly acquired Thinkpad T23
=2E..
> However, the resulting system, though usable,
> has several problems:
>=20
> Eg on moving the cursor, it disappears briefly
> before re-appearing at the new position.
>=20
> 3. Other responses are equally slow,
> eg after clicking on the f-icon,
> it takes 5 seconds for the menu to appear.
>=20
> 2. It takes about 90 seconds from entering login name
> to appearance of desktop and panel.
>=20
> 4. Response to typing is very slow.
> Having typed a letter, it takes half a second for it to appear.
>=20
> 5. I notice that X while is running (R) it is taking 98-99% CPU,

That seems to be the cause of all your other problems.

The T23 has an old and weak S3 SuperSavage graphics chip.  If Fedora 11
is trying to use the newest graphical bells an whistles, those could be
expensive.  Do you use Compiz?

Or it could be a regression in the driver itself.  Asking on the xorg
mailing list might help.

> The kernel I am running is 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE .
> (I'm not sure what the PAE means?)

It supports PAE (Page Address Extensions), which is a CPU feature that
lets you use more than 4 GB of RAM with 32-bit OSes (somewhat
inconveniently and at some additional cost).

I don't think it's relevant in this case.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Five words to strike fear into the heart of any software developer: 'How lo=
ng
will it take?'
		-- Sean McGrath

--+JUInw4efm7IfTNU