[ltp] T61 Keyboard

Michael Milligan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:43:02 -0600

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:33:38 +0100
> Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> dijo:
>
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
>>> Assuming none of the plastic has broken off (which it shouldn't have;
>>> "use a little force" is how you take the keycaps off) it should be
>>> simple.  Put the keycap back on and press it down firmly until you hear
>>> a click.
>
> That doesn't work. That is, the right side clicks in, but the left side
> is loose. The keycap doesn't fall off if I hold the computer upside
> down, but it is wobbly.
>
>> Sometimes it helps to engage the back of the key (the edge nearest the
>> screen) before you do the front. Play with the mechanism a bit to see
>> how it works.

Not for the F keys on a T61 keyboard.

It needs to be "hooked" on the right side and then little clips in the
keycap snap onto the left side bar of the white plastic "stand".  On the
T61 keyboard, the F keycaps (the whole top row actually) come off by
prying on the _left_ side first to pop off the clips and then you push
the cap to the right to unhook the cap from the white plastic.  The
normal-size keys are hooked on the bottom and clip on the top, thus to
remove, you pry on the top, then side it down to unhook the bottom.
Reverse to re-install.

I've learned that all the hard way myself.

Regards,
Mike

--
Michael Milligan                                   -> milli@acmeps.com