[ltp] Fedora 11 breaks too many things on my X40

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:00:27 -0500

--001636163eb537d7b1046d568e54

These sorts of possibilities are what has so far kept me from upgrading my
X40 from Ubuntu Intrepid to Jaunty.

One thing that I have heard mentioned frequently is the upgrade vs. clean
instal paths. My preference would be to upgrade, which from your post is
what I am assuming you did. I've probably installed somewhere between 25 -
50 additional applications since I built out this machine, and the thought
of having to reinstall that doesn't thrill me.

In my case, Ubuntu 8.10 works on my ThinkPad, so for now at least, I'll
probably not jump into the deep end. That said, I did recently get rid of my
little Asus Eee 4G Surf and replaced it with an Acer Aspire One (8.9"
screen). On this machine, I chose to share out XP's landscape with what was
then Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6. It worked well out of the box and has updated
itself successfully to the release version (and beyond).

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Christos Papadopoulos <
christos@cs.colostate.edu> wrote:

> Well, I should have checked before upgrading to Fedora 11.  Fedora 10
> worked so well on my X40 that created a false sense of reliability.
>
> As it stands now, resume leaves me with a blank screen, and apparently
> the external VGA and SD slots are not working properly (according to
> thinkwiki).
>
> Before I begin the long process of debugging, does anyone have any
> pointers? suspend/resume is critical for me.
>
> Christos.
> --

Rob Smith

A lightweight Ubuntu distribution.
Because software, like people, should be allowed to exist in an open,
sharing community, and not kept contained by corporate greed!

--001636163eb537d7b1046d568e54

These sorts of possibilities are what has so far kept me from upgrading my =
X40 from Ubuntu Intrepid to Jaunty.<br><br>One thing that I have heard ment=
ioned frequently is the upgrade vs. clean instal paths. My preference would=
 be to upgrade, which from your post is what I am assuming you did. I&#39;v=
e probably installed somewhere between 25 - 50 additional applications sinc=
e I built out this machine, and the thought of having to reinstall that doe=
sn&#39;t thrill me.<br>
9;ll probably not jump into the deep end. That said, I did recently get rid=
 of my little Asus Eee 4G Surf and replaced it with an Acer Aspire One (8.9=
&quot; screen). On this machine, I chose to share out XP&#39;s landscape wi=
th what was then Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6. It worked well out of the box and has=
 updated itself successfully to the release version (and beyond). <br>
apadopoulos <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:christos@cs.colostate.e=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0=
pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Well, I should have checked before upgrading to Fedora 11. =A0Fedora 10<br>
worked so well on my X40 that created a false sense of reliability.<br>
As it stands now, resume leaves me with a blank screen, and apparently<br>
the external VGA and SD slots are not working properly (according to<br>
thinkwiki).<br>
Before I begin the long process of debugging, does anyone have any<br>
pointers? suspend/resume is critical for me.<br>
Christos.<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>