[ltp] Fedora-11 on T23 - very slow

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:29:00 +0200

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:36:34 +0100
Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> My current suspicion is that the video driver assumes the card
> comes with more memory than it actually does.
>
> I find when I login to the system remotely,
> it seems to run normally.
>
> I'm wondering if I can substitute a simpler driver?
> Or  could I try the driver from F-10?

Xubuntu 8.10 is running very nicely on my T23 also with 1GB RAM. I
don't try Compiz ;-) but even Google Earth runs well enough to be
usable on occasion. That was not possible with earlier versions. I don't
know where the improvements were made; kernel, video driver or xorg, or
maybe all three, but it helps this older hardware remain useful in
today's graphically intensive computing environment.

John