[ltp] Summary: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

Ajai Khattri linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 02:05:23 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Try it out in a Sony Store first, would be my suggestion.  The Vaio
> P's keyboard isn't all that great; at least in my opinion.

Another developer I spoke to recently said the keyboard was good (mind
you, he was using an EEE quite happily).

> And the
> screen resolution is huge for the screen size, which sounds great in
> theory, but unless you have really good eyes

I do actually. The MiniNote is 1280x768 which is higher than pretty much
all the other netbooks. Most people look at my laptop and Nokia N810 and
think Im nuts...

> you'll have to bump up
> the font sizes so that things will be readable, at which point the
> 1600x768 resolution is wasted.  Personally, I looked at the Vaio P,
> and then looked at the price, chuckled, and left the Sony Store...
>
> I will say that the HP MiniNote has a much better keyboard that the
> Lenovo S10; I wish Lenovo had put a real keyboard on the S10.

The keyboard was my main reason for sticking with the MiniNote - as a
developer I probably type code more than most. The MiniNote also has the
best keyboard amongst all the netbooks.

--
Aj.