[ltp] Summary: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:41:13 -0500

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 11:24 -0800, S. Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:

> And yeah, I just added a Thinkpad 240 to my collection of vintage
> computers. Love it. Putting a decent Linux distro on there (xubuntu)
> will be a bear (Install from another machine using a USB to Notebook
> PATA cable) but once it happens, I will have *zero* Netbook envy.

Not that much of a bear if you have another vintage Thinkpad around.  I
used an X20 to install Ubuntu, then put the drive in the 240 without
difficulty.  The 240 is still a usable machine if you give it its full
320MB of RAM and a 5400 RPM hard drive.

Admittedly, you won't be doing much Google Earth, but ... :)

I'm also surprised that nobody has mentioned the 701C butterfly yet in
this discussion. (   http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:701C ).  Who
says you can't have a big keyboard on a small machine?

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com