[ltp] Gemplus ExpressCard Smart Card Reader from Lenovo

Dirk Zemisch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:48:14 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

>> anyone here knows, if there are ubuntu (debian) drivers for the named
>> part (41N3043)?

> Yes.  I don't recall which userspace util does it (it is the lesser
> desireable one, which implements a Windows API), but it works.

> It also uses a bitrotten kernel driver, so I'd say it is a very bad choice
> in the long run.

Ok, so it was the right choice to buy a PCMCIA based cardman 4000, as
Michael suggested. They are quite cheap (4 €) so I ordered it yesterday.

> Just get a USB-based Gemplus reader, they work very well.  Expresscard ones
> should also be USB (nobody would attach a smartcard header to the PCIe bus,
> that requires drivers and is a LOT more expensive), so they should also
> work.

I have an USB cardreader already, but it is annoying to carry all the
stuff separately, thatswhy an internal reader is much more applicable
for me.

Thank you guys!
Regards,
Dirk