[ltp] Head's up: KEY_SLEEP/SUSPEND/HIBERNATE changes

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:32:48 +0000

I'm afraid I haven't been following this thread carefully,
as I assumed it would be over my head.
But has there been a major change in recent kernels?
Is this specific to Thinkpads?

I'm running Fedora-10 with kernel 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686 .
I've noticed that my T43 now suspends to RAM much more often,
eg when I close the lid.
It also tells me very noisily that it is doing this.

On the whole I like this feature;
my laptop seems to stay alive for a very long time in this state.

It has one drawback in my case;
I keep most of my files on my desktop,
using NFS to access and edit them.
As far as I can see, NFS stops if I suspend to RAM,
so if I have not closed a file I am editing (I use vim)
I have to "restore" the latest version.

Just an observation from a non-expert oldie.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net