[ltp] No /proc/acpi/ibm/dock on X61 in Jaunty

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:36:55 +0100

Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 15:58:35 +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
>> Does this mean that /proc/acpi/ibm/dock has been replaced [/sys/devices/platform/dock.0]?
>>
> Yes, maybe there is a message in the kernel log from thinkpad-acpi
> about skipping docking support in favour of the generic kernel driver.
> At least this is the case with the bay driver.

I do not see such a message.

Now that you mention the bay driver... the funny thing is that
there *is* a /proc/acpi/ibm/bay file.  With the X61 docked in its
UltraBase X6 whose Ultrabay Slim contains a DVD drive, the
file has this content:

# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/bay
status:        occupied
commands:    eject

Experiment reveals that if I do "echo eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay"
then I get the same result as I get if I press the "undock" button
on the side of the UltraBase -- namely a hard lockup.

(The hard lockup can be avoided by doing

echo 1 >  /sys/class/scsi_device/1:0:0:0/device/delete

first.)

--
Thomas
P.S. I am documenting all of this at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_8.10_(Intrepid_Ibex)_on_a_ThinkPad_X61