[ltp] tp_smapi, battery and T400

Roman Haefeli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 06 Mar 2009 20:03:55 +0100

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 16:37 +0200, Anton Katsarov wrote:
> В 13:10 +0100 на 06.03.2009 (пт), Yves-Alexis Perez написа:
> > > Should I always
> > > discharge down to 30% before charging?
> >
> > That's the purpose of start_charg_tresh :)
>
> Thanks for the replay. So what is the difference if discharging to 30%
> and if start charging any time I plug it? What is the point of
> discharging to exact tresh? How it is configured on your computers?

here i configured similarly to others from the list. the reason, why i
want it first to go down to the threshold before charging is started is
to save charging cycles. a battery has a finite number of charging
cycles before the capacity significantly goes down. i heard that it is
much healthier for the battery to discharge/charge between let's say 30%
and 70% and even more, if it happens sporadically (and not in small
cycles all the time). the more on the upper capacity limit you charge
the battery, the more it will suffer. the worst thing that you can do is
charging/discharging it all the time between 95 and 99%, so that it is
every time fully charged, whenever you quickly disconnected the power
supply in order to carry your box to some different location.

all i said above should be taken with caution. this is just what i
heard/read. someone else with deeper knowledge about LiIon battery
technology might correct me.

when i know beforehand, that i am going to use the full capacity, i'll
set the threshold accordingly, until it is charged. then i set it back
to the normal values. this should be quite easy to script in a shell
script.

roman