[ltp] Re: What are people using for Dock/Undocking scripts for their X60/61's?

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 07 Mar 2009 19:15:42 +0100

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 09:28:18AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
>
>> That is, pressing the undock button causes immediate (electronic)
>> disconnection.  And this causes an immediate hang in the kernel.
>>
> At least with a 2.6.29-rc7 kernel, and using LVM, it doesn't cause a
> hang for me.  LVM does complain a lot if I don't unmount the
> filesystem and run "vgchange -an <vgname>" first, though.

I have a very standard Ubuntu Intrepid-upgraded-to-Jaunty
system which has a 2.6.28-8 kernel and no lvm.

Does lvm make the kernel more tolerant of disappearing disks?

>> Assuming we want undocking to be as effortless as possible there
>> are two solutions.
>>
>> 1. Change Linux so that it does not hang when the Ultrabay Slim
>> drive disappears without warning.
>>
> It doesn't for me; what filesystem did you have mounted, and what were
> you accessing at the time?

My X61 hangs when undocked (unless
"echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_device/1:0:0:0/device/delete" is done
 first) even though nothing is mounted and the Ultrabay Slim
drive hasn't been used since the system was powered on.
--
Thomas