[ltp] screen remains black after standby on the X40

Volker Krueger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:09:27 +0100

Hi,

I have an observation which worries me big-time!!

I have bough in January a Thinkpad X200s. On that machine, the LED-based
illumination of the LCD died last friday for the third time. So far, I
was thinking that this is a HW issue.

HOWEVER, while the X200s is not working I am now using my X40 again. I
have upgraded to suse 11.1 and ... guess what: After standby the
illumination of the screen remained black!!!!!! This problem is totally
random: I had it on standby with 11.1 before and it woke up fine...

I was more than glad that it lit again after reboot, but I have NEVER
experienced that before on the X40!!!

While the X200s has even on-site support the X40 would be dead for good,
if the screen dies, and i would be very sad...

Is there someone else who has experienced something similar with the
X40? Since when does that happen? Has it anything to do with the
thinkpad_acpi?

If I am the only one with opensuse and noone else has these problems, I
guess it'll be time to switch to a different distribution...

thanks a whole lot in advance,
Volker