[ltp] Opinions on T400

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 01:14:34 +0100

Hey,

Am Samstag 07 März 2009 17:55:09 schrieb Ali Gholami Rudi:
> I'm deciding whether to buy a T400.  AFAICT, specially on lenovo forums,
> it seems many T400 owners are unhappy about it; specially about the
> keyboard.

You've propably seen the comparison pictures between new and old keyboad, the
new one has a wobbly plastic backplane, the old one a solid metal plate.
Lenovo reverted the design change and is exchanging the keyboards if you have
one of the cheapies, which you should do in case you get one.
http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?message.uid=75261#U75261
The difference is HUGE, but the way lenovo handles this (through forum PMs)
leaves a bad taste for me, this does not look very professional.

> The graphic card works but according to
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_GMA_X4500HD, the intel video driver
> needs to be upgraded.

Graphics card works fine, though with switchable graphics the dock dvi only
works on the ati card. The dock VGA port is good enough to drive a normal
1680x1050 display, the internal port is not as good (looks a bit blurry).

> Some seem to have problems with the battery, but as long as I don't use
> the battery much, it's not a major problem.

As pointed out on the list before quality seems to have degraded, I can't
compare though.

> Any experiences or other issues...

A buddy's T61 felt more sturdy, but it might be that a more flexible case
doesn't break so easily or something, no idea, but this also looks like
cutting costs on lenovo side.

Maybe a T61 might be a better option, better price and quality wise seems
superiour, so if you can live with the slightly older hardware base that might
be a good alternative. Otherwise check out the E6400 from dell, that got some
nice reviews as well and even sports a digital out right away.

Karsten