[ltp] Re: a few long questions with potentially short answers

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:51:23 -0400

> 1. bluetooth toggling:
> I'm using kernel 2.6.27, still...question is...what is at this moment
> the supposed/best way to tie bluetooth activation/deactivation to fn-f5?
> acpid event/action script or should i wait for 2.6.28 and use hal input?

I use acpid.

> 2. thinkfinger:
> Found it, enabled it, works well with gdm. Questions: Is there any way
> to make it autodetect the username as well (non-C-coding way)?

Would like to know as well.

> Which other application should support it?

The screenlocker does/should support it as well.

> 5. UltraNav button separation:
> Is it possible to recieve separate button events for the touchpads
> buttons than for the trackpoints buttons without using hal input/evdev?
> Will it be possible when using it?

I don't of any way to do it, but would also like to know.

> 6. OT: automatic input replacement:
> I have a US model, but find myself typing german stuff a lot, recently,
> needing umlauts quite a bit. Does anyone know of a little daemon or any
> other good solution to automatically replace ue,ae,oe,ss by their german
> versions in an application independent fashion? Maybe with holding a
> qualifier? I'm using gnomes charmap applet for now, but it's still too
> annoying.

I highly recommend the "compose" key (called "Multi_key" in xev
parlance).  I set it up by binding one of the right-alt or right-ctrl
keycodes to the "Multi_key" keysym in xmodmap, but you can do also do it
in gnome-keyboard-preferences under the "layout" tab, by clicking on
"layout options" and then looking for the "compose" item.

> 7: just a little remark:
> The eject fn-f9 combination is NOT intended for ejecting optical media.
> It's purpose is rather ejecting pluggable devices like usb, ultrabay and
> undocking.

Indeed, the icon on the key is pretty clear about it.

> The table on thinkwiki is a bit misleading in that regard.

This is a wiki, so you can fix it yourself.

        Stefan