[ltp] a few long questions with potentially short answers

nescivi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:47:45 -0400

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 01:15:41 Andr=C3=A9 Wyrwa wrote:
> 6. OT: automatic input replacement:
> I have a US model, but find myself typing german stuff a lot, recently,
> needing umlauts quite a bit. Does anyone know of a little daemon or any
> other good solution to automatically replace ue,ae,oe,ss by their german
> versions in an application independent fashion? Maybe with holding a
> qualifier? I'm using gnomes charmap applet for now, but it's still too
> annoying.

I'm using a little applet (KDE keyboard tool; but I'm sure there's one for=
=20
Gnome too) to switch keyboard layouts... So even though my actual layout is=
=20
US, if I have to type German, I use the German layout (which I am familiar=
=20
enough with from my previous German layout thinkpad). I also have Dutch in=
=20
the mix, if I need the other accents (and I grew up with a Dutch layout=20
keyboard, which is only marginally different from the US one).

If you are not able to blind type, and tend to have to search for keys, thi=
s=20
may not be a solution for you.

sincerely,
Marije