[ltp] Step up T60

Andre Wyrwa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:43:50 +0100

Hi,

> The dual-boot plan is to get rid of the unwanted stuff on the 80GB drive, partition the 320 GB drive and image-copy the C partition into the boot partition of the bigger drive;  then do likewise with the Linux (Mandriva 2008:0) partition from the 160 GB Samsung PATA HDD that's currently on the no-name;  and fix up the MBR.

You can't just image-copy WinXP to another drive. The reason is that it
stores a harddisk ID hash with the drive letter associations in it's
registry. Namely, it won't boot anymore on the new drive, because it's
got the wrong hdd id stored for C. But you can do something about that.
There's an article on thinkwiki about copying a windows installation
that explains how to manually copy over those drive ids.

> Whichever way I go, I'm led to the next question:  adding more drives.  I understand that the optical drive caddy on this machine can be removed and replaced with a HDD caddy.  As the T60 is still on its way, I don't know whether the Ultrabay presents a "bus-neutral" interface to the caddies and the Lenovo site is *singularly* unhelpful. I see that both SATA and IDE caddies are available...I'm assuming (until better informed) that I'll need a PATA caddy if I want the option to recycle the existing PATA drive from the no-name box.   Does anyone know for sure whether the Ultrabay interface is bus-neutral?

Don't quite understand what you mean by that. To insert a PATA drive
you'll need the PATA adapter.

Andre.