[ltp] how to reduce the power consumption of the X200?

Volker Krueger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:11:50 +0100

Hi Roman,

thanks for sharing your observations!

I have observed exactly the same things as you describe on the X200s.
But I want to add the following:
My present laptop has the L9400 Core 2 Duo processor, 1.8GHz.

I ended up first using the values 21 21 2 2 for the four different
frequencies.
Then, the system froze after I started accessing the wireless card, so
that I increased to  21 21 4 4.
next, I looked at the wattage: Switching off the network adapters and
while trying to keep the system  using a constant wattage, I first
decreased the voltage slowly to 1 and then increased it to 6. The
minimum wattage was at 4(!!), and not, as expected, at the lower
numbers. Perhaps someone can confirm this?
If I remember correctly, I had 10.2W at setting 4 and 10.7W at setting 2
(measuring with powertop).
I wasn't sure if 10.2W and 10.7W is within the natural variance of the
system's power consumption, so I retried several times.

best,
vok