[ltp] Bluetooth button not working after installing Debian 2.6.29 kernel

Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:32:21 -0300

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> writes:
> > Yes.  Without CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT you will get hotkey events *ONLY*
> > through the thinkpad-acpi input device.
>
> But it's certainly something for the Debian kernel and acpid maintainers
> to be aware of.

Maybe.  See below.

> > Me, I will move my hotkey acpid scripts to HAL one of these days.  It is
> > where they belong in the new order (until it becomes the NewNew order and
> > HAL beats the dust, that is...).
>
> Right.  I've been trying to avoid using HAL for this.  Guess there's no
> way around it anymore.

HAL ain't half bad, actually.  I just never bothered to learn how to write
.fdi files, and I probably won't like a lot of stuff I will find inside the
upstream .fdi files when I start looking into them.  But that's not HAL's
fault.

What I *really* dislike is udev.  Underengineered overcomplicated
easy-to-break beast...

> > In fact, CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT disabled makes Debian acpid USELESS, since
> > it has never been updated to deal with netlink events AFAIK.  My guess is
> > that it is a bug in the kernel config, and that it was not done on purpose.
>
> I don't think so.  From the changelog:
>
> linux-2.6 (2.6.29-1) unstable; urgency=low
>   ..
>   [ maximilian attems ]
>   ..
>   * topconfig unset legacy SCSI_PROC_FS, PCMCIA_IOCTL, ACPI_PROCFS_POWER,
>     ACPI_PROC_EVENT.

Hmm, let me check the latest acpid in Debian...  Hey, it has been updated,
my info was outdated.  Check acpid -n.  It now listens over netlink.

This reduces the problem to a thinkpad-acpi issue.  You will need to update
your config to use HAL or something else that can process input events :-(

Looks like I better do it myself ASAP as well, this is going to hit a lot of
users and I better be able to at least tell people how to change their
configs...

> I believe it was discussed on the debian-kernel list before the release,
> but I weren't aware of the acpid problems then.

Apparently, there are only minor bugs if acpid is not running with netlink
by default.  If it is, then there is just the thinkpad-acpi issue.

> Do you think this still should be reported as a kernel bug, or is the
> correct way forward to fix acpid ASAP?

Looks that there are no kernel bugs, and _maybe_ a minor acpid initscript
bug, if all that.  I will check.

  Henrique Holschuh