[ltp] WPA Card for TP600 type 2645

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:20:17 -0500

Sebastian Anding wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm using the old Thinkpad TP 600 a lot. It is currently running debian.
> A few weeks ago i tried to replace my old Orinoco Gold 11 MBit WLAN Card
> supporting WEP with an MSI 54 MBit WLAN Card which should support WPA2
> Encryption. But while inserting the MSI Card to the Cardbus Slot the log
> only showed that there was an Card inserted, but neither a card type nor
> an error was reported.

You MSI card is not supported by the kernel you are running.

> So my questions to those of you using such an old device are:
> Are there any Cardbus or PCMCIA Cards which are supporting WPA2 and
> running with such an old Laptop?

It's not a function of the laptop hardware, as long as the laptop has a
Cardbus slot (the 600 does), it all depends on your kernel and
supporting userland programs like wpa-supplicant.

> Is there any list of supported Cards for WLAN with 54 MBit and WPA2 from
> IBM, which is missing in the documentation at thinkwiki.org?

No.

> Or last but not least is there any other solution running WPA2 with the
> old Orinco Card?

I don't think so.

I have WPA2 working on a 600E using Zyxel G-102 Cardbus card, it has an
Atheros chipset.

Some WLAN cards only work after firmware is downloaded to them, and some
only work with the Windows drivers and ndiswrapper. I don't know what
your MSI card needs in order to work.

wes