[ltp] IBM thinkpad users, please test 0.22-20090318-BETA

Jochen Schulz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:50:55 +0200

--eWbcAUUbgrfSEG1c

[This is a re-send. Don't know why the first attempt didn't arrive at
the list.]

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>=20
>> Hm. I am just trying the patched kernel and all I can say is that changi=
ng the
>> display brightness using the hotkeys doesn't work anymore at all. :) I am
>> running a vanilla 2.6.29 + your patch on a Debian sid system (using some=
 parts
>> of X.Org from experimental).
>=20
> Well, you said the patch didn't apply cleanly, so the fact is we don't
> really know for sure how well your thinkpad-acpi.c is behaving :p

No, you're confusing Dominik's and my post. I patched a vanilla 2.6.29
and it applied cleanly.

>> Using xbacklight or manually echoing values to
>> /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness works, though.
>=20
> Ok.  That means the driver is doing what it should.

Fine!

> Might be the OpRegion stuff that makes the BIOS talk to the X server or
> something like that.  Brightness control got _really_ complicated when it
> migrated to inside the GPU, because if the BIOS does it, it hoses the
> display driver.  So, they created a shared-memory command channel for the
> BIOS and display driver to talk over, and as you might guess, that thing
> ain't working correctly yet.

Ah, thanks for that. I guess I will keep using X.Org from experimental.
for a while. :)

>> Passing brightness_enable=3D1 does indeed give me a working
>> /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness back (and removes the sysfs interface), but
>> the hotkeys still don't work anymore.=20
>=20
> Eh? It should _not_ remove the
> /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness interface.  If it is,
> something is seriously wacky.
>=20
> In fact, you should not _have_
> /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness in Lenovo thinkpads,
> unless you passed brightness_enable=3D1.

Sorry, I have to correct myself. The sysfs interface never gets removed,
it is always there (as long as thinkpad_acpi is loaded). But I have the
impression that thinpad_acpi's behaviour is quite strange. The following
is the kernel output of a single 'modprobe thinkpad_acpi':

Non-volatile memory driver v1.3
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.22-20090318-BETA
thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 6DET38WW (2.02 ), EC 7XHT21WW-1.03
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad X200, model 74587QG
thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness control=
, supported by the ACPI video driver
thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by default...
Registered led device: tpacpi::thinklight
Registered led device: tpacpi::power
Registered led device: tpacpi::standby
thinkpad_acpi: Standard ACPI backlight interface not available, thinkpad_ac=
pi native brightness control enabled
thinkpad_acpi: detected a 16-level brightness capable ThinkPad
input: ThinkPad Extra Buttons as /class/input/input15

After that, I seem to have both the sysfs and the /proc interface. The
only option I have configured for the module is 'fan_control=3D1'.

> Pressing mute twice by mistake, or at boot because you don't recall if
> it is muted or not (thinkpads store that in NVRAM and will restore the
> last state on power up) will always give you muted sound.  This is
> _nice_.

Ok, I can see why you like it.

> Now, mute/unmute is done by the firmware.  Volume up/down *IN A RECENT
> LENOVO THINKPAD* is done by userspace.  It will send normal keycodes
> to the kernel, which will send it to userspace.  It is up to HAL or
> X.org to do something about it.   No, thinkpad-acpi doesn't even get
> the volume key press events anymore on such thinkpads, the information
> flow path was changed in the EC firmware.

Thanks again. Xev does indeed show the volume keypresses and I was able
to configure my WM (awesome) to change the volume. JFTR:

table.insert(globalkeys, key({},  "XF86AudioRaiseVolume", function ()=20
    awful.util.spawn('amixer -q sset Master 5%+') end))
table.insert(globalkeys, key({},  "XF86AudioLowerVolume", function ()
    awful.util.spawn('amixer -q sset Master 5%-') end))

J.
--=20
Scientists know what they are talking about.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--eWbcAUUbgrfSEG1c

--eWbcAUUbgrfSEG1c--