[ltp] Re: Thinkpad Power Consumption Roundup [TPCR]

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 May 2009 11:41:06 +0200

Marius Gedminas schrieb am 01.05.2009 09:31:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:46:29PM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
>> Volker Krueger schrieb am 30.04.2009 21:07:
>> I did
>>
>> 	dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>>
>> and than it worked. But UXA leads to a black screen and I
>> need to reboot.
>
> UXA needs support from the kernel.  Jaunty's -generic kernel has it,
> while the -server kernel doesn't (and ends up giving you a black screen).

Oh, good to know, thanks! And yes, I'm using the server kernel.
Maybe I should compile my own kernel again as I did with Intrepid ...

>> EXA shows no difference---glxgears generates only
>> about 100 fps.
>
> It's (1) not a benchmark and

I read this frequently but don't know what people want to say.
glxgears correlates with graphics performance on my desktop, laptop
an my wife's laptop. What's the purpose of glxgears?

> (2) supposed to be synchronized with the
> vertical refresh interval.

What does this mean for the significance of my observation (bad
graphics performance → low fps with glxgears, good graphics
performance → high fps with glxgears)?

>> Nice! For me after upgrading to 9.04 graphics performance is much
>> worse than with 8.10.
>
> Wait till you start getting the freezes, crashes and memory leaks.  The
> state of the intel video driver in 9.04 is a bit sad.

Any other workaround than installing version 2.7 of the Intel
driver? But even this version still has problems:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzIxMQ

Best
Christoph
--