[ltp] F10 update smashes ethernet

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 May 2009 11:49:29 +0200

Hi Bert, all!

bhaskins@chartermi.net wrote:
> [[...]]
>=20
> I have transferred all off my date files off of this box and
> at this point I'm just going to give up and reinstall.
> Neither the wired or the wireless comes up after boot which
> makes me think that the entire network system it smashed.
> What a PITA, I will certainly think twice before doing my next update.

I fully understand your feelings!

Assuming your disk is large enough, I propose you do a dual-boot (or
even multi-boot) installation with at least these partitions:

- system1   A full system partition, including /usr and /var
- home      /home for all your user data
- swap
- system2   Another full system partition

Then you can run different OS versions, or different upgrade levels, and
from both access your user data.
(And if you feel like experimenting, you can try a different
distribution without immediately committing to it.)
As long as you don't change (update, ...) both system partitions at the
same time, you don't run any risk.

The only restriction is that the file system for /home must be usable by
both system partitions (so you can't use both Linux and OpenSolaris,
unless /home is a FAT file system), and it is a significant help if the
systems can mount each other for some repair / check / comparison / ...

Configure your bootloader (probably grub) so that it always offers you
both partitions, and your best bet is to install grub in both system
partitions in parallel: Even if one grub configuration breaks, you can
(from a live CD) toggle the boot flag on the partitions and start from
the other one.

This way, you can continue to use your machine (maybe from an older OS
version) and defer fixing a broken system for some days.

Regards,
J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de