[ltp] Re: Thinkpad Power Consumption Roundup [TPCR]

Sat, 2 May 2009 00:05:56 +0200

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

I'm mostly parroting what I hear on the xorg@freedesktop.org list.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glxgears_is_not_a_Benchmark
http://qa-rockstar.livejournal.com/7869.html

> glxgears correlates with graphics performance on my desktop, laptop
> an my wife's laptop.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

> What's the purpose of glxgears?

It's a screensaver/old OpenGL demo.

> > (2) supposed to be synchronized with the
> > vertical refresh interval.
>=20
> What does this mean for the significance of my observation (bad
> graphics performance =E2=86=92 low fps with glxgears, good graphics
> performance =E2=86=92 high fps with glxgears)?

Probably nothing.  If you notice poor graphics performance, you have
poor graphics performance.

(Actually, the vertical retrace thing -- it should mean the fps is capped
to ~60, the typical refresh rate for LCDs, but I'm seeing around 300 fps
on my laptop.  I don't know why.)

> >> Nice! For me after upgrading to 9.04 graphics performance is much
> >> worse than with 8.10.
> >=20
> > Wait till you start getting the freezes, crashes and memory leaks.  The
> > state of the intel video driver in 9.04 is a bit sad.
>=20
> Any other workaround than installing version 2.7 of the Intel
> driver? But even this version still has problems:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Dnews_item&px=3DNzIxMQ

When I upgraded to Jaunty, I started seeing how vim or xchat redraw the
text *line by line*.  Using xrandr to rotate an external screen was even
worse.  I switched to UXA, which made things better, at the cost of
X crashing on every resume from S3 sleep.  I've learned to live with it
for now.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
<niemeyer> philiKON: I'm changing ZCML to parse files twice as fast..
<philiKON> niemeyer, weee
<benji>    ooh, I like it!
<philiKON> how do you do that?
<niemeyer> Lying