[ltp] Re: Thinkpad Power Consumption Roundup [TPCR]

Sat, 02 May 2009 18:27:18 +0100

Theodore Tso wrote:

> I can't compare it to what I had beforehand, but quite frankly, I
> don't really care.  The gnome-terminal and emacs-snapshot repaint time
> was my biggest complaint, and since I don't play tuxracer on a regular
> basis, I'm not terribly worried about other drawing primitives.
>
> I *have* noticed the instability, however.  Using xine or totem to
> play certain video or audio files will often cause the Ubuntu Jaunty X
> server to crash.  (The "special effects" that totem uses while it's
> playing an mp3 file is often all it takes.)

Have you tried using the VESA driver? It actually works quite well, and
you shouldn't have any problems in normal 2D use.

The only thing to note is that vertical scrolling is slightly sluggish -
to workaround this, scroll by several lines at a time (make the
mousewheel do 5 lines at a time) or scroll page-wise. Even this isn't
too bad. Then make the screensaver use something 2D-ish, and you should
be fine.

Richard