[ltp] Lenovo System Toolbox and Ubuntu

Tue, 26 May 2009 19:03:16 -0300

On Tue, 26 May 2009, francesco tartaglia wrote:
> I have thinkpad x61 with Ubuntu intrepid.
> After it fell to the ground it starts overheat.

You have damaged the thinkpad, so you should get it repaired. It is that
simple.

Probably the impact caused the the thermal interface between the heatsinks
and the CPU/GPU/chipset to crack.  This is easy for a skilled technician to
repair, it just needs to have the old interface removed, and a new one put
in place (preferably, using high-grade "overclocking" heat-transfer
compounds).  If you still have warranty, phone Lenovo and get it done by one
of their techs.

If you don't, find someone that has experience in fixing laptop heatsink
problems, and get it serviced.  If you have experience with these things,
you can do it yourself.  Get the hardware maintenance manual and read it
before you do anything, though.

It is also possible that the fan assembly or heat pipes got damaged, but
that's far less likely and you'll probably notice it right away if you
remove the keyboard and look inside.

  Henrique Holschuh