[ltp] Best Linux distro for ThinkPad T61...

Volker Krueger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 May 2009 10:53:21 +0200

Hi,

I was always very happy with opensuse. It comes as a live system or with
a DVD. Everything is nicely done, it is very reliable, and lots of
repositories with all sorts of software are available.

Lenovo wanted to go with opensuse as the official linux, until that idea
died again.

According to my(!!) experience:
advantages:
a) very recent code which has advantages when using the latest hardware,
but it is still very reliable. the suse-guys seem to do a lot of testing.
b) it provides everything out of the box, incl. firewall, xen-kernel +
configuration, etc.
c) What I like particularly is the "yast-tool" which allows to
essentially control and administer everything, incl. installation of
xen, etc. d) laptop powerusage is generally quite good, they did some
good stuff.
d) completely out of the box, if requested at installation start.

Downsides:
a) slower boot-up than, e.g., ubuntu, because this all-inclusive has its
price.
b) community is smaller than, e.g., for ubuntu. If one has a problem
which cannot be solved with yast, then help can be most often found from
the ubuntu-web community.

I think it is worth trying.

good luck,
vok