[ltp] Re: [Re: Best Linux distro for ThinkPad T61...]

Sat, 30 May 2009 01:05:07 +0100

Petar Milin wrote:

> The only question that remains for me is how to get Mandriva with KDE
> 3.5, i.e. Mandriva2008? I can download Mandriva2009 and it has KDE 4 by
> default. Although I read about possibility to downgrade to 3.5 with
> "urpmi task-kde3", I would prefer to have everything as clean as
> possible. Hence, where to find last Mandriva with KDE 3.5?

I'm using Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE 3.5 myself. It is a perfectly "clean"
thing to do, provided you uninstall all of the KDE4 stuff first. It
works very well.

I don't recommend using an unsupported distro - no security updates or
fixes. If you want KDE 3.5, the other choice is really Ubuntu Hardy (LTS).

Otherwise, do give Gnome or XFCE a spin. Once you customise them to
taste, you'll find they can do almost the same things as KDE 3.5
(though glipper isn't quite as nice as klipper). You can still run some
of the KDE3 (or 4) apps in Gnome - you just don't get the "environment".

Richard