[ltp] Hard lock on T42p

Mat Marcus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 May 2009 14:15:42 -0700

I had a similar problem with recent Ubuntu distributions on a T42p.
When I only could get the fan, black screen and Z light, but no POST,
I nearly gave it up for dead. I tried the usual suggestions of
removing the battery, etc., to no avail. I finally disassembled the
machine far enough to also remove the CMOS backup battery. Then when I
reassembled the machine POST began succeeding once more. The next time
that I suspended, the hard crash recurred. After a fair bit of trial
and error, and lots of disassembly/reassembly I found that the problem
seemed to be Bluetooth related. If I recall correctly, adding scripts
to run at suspend time with contents like:

  echo disabled > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth

was what finally allowed me to wake the machine without crashing.

Hope this helps,
Mat