[ltp] Hard lock on T42p

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 May 2009 22:36:31 +0100

John wrote:
> On (30/05/09 16:41), Richard Neill wrote:
> On (30/05/09 08:45), jason stone wrote:
> On (30/05/09 08:48), Roberto Sepulveda wrote:
> | To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> | Subject: Re: [ltp] Hard lock on T42p
> |
> | <snip of original posts suggesting variations on power down,
> | disconnect from power, wait with variations, reconnect, try again.
> |
> | On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM, John <JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> |
> | > IBM T42p, running Debian, not quite up-to-date sid, dual booted with
> | > XP Pro.
> | > <snip>
> | > Since then, the laptop is almost totally locked up
> | > snip>
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I tried all variants without success.
>
> If anyone has other suggests -- other than take it into some repair
> place? -- I'd be grateful.

Ive had several laptops of various makes with these symtoms.
 The first thing I do is access the following and reseat the connectors
Processor,
hard drive
memory
cmos battery
On most occasions the laptop does recover and boots ok as before.

If it doesnt, then i do a substitution with known working components  of
the above.
this latter procedure is really a technicans job.
If this doesnt fix it then it could be a corrupt bios.
Ive had this from swapping a component when the laptop was powered up.My
inexperience on a thinkpad 600x.

The next step is to strip it completely and inspect minutely.
 Some thinkpads due to heat had warping motherboards and consequent
seperation of foxcon memory connectors.
Reassemble and try again .If the fault is still there then its a
replacement motherboard.
Wether you can find some laptop technician interested to do the above
depends on where you live etc.

Needless to say Im a laptop dealer and repairer.
Hope this helps
Ted