[ltp] thinkpad_acpi: WARNING: sysfs attribute hotkey_enable is deprecated and will be removed. Hotkey reporting is always enabled

Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:56:56 -0200

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, Chris Penn wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 9.10 64bit on a t61p and I get this crash message
> each time I run synaptic (at least I notice it when I run synaptic).
> thinkpad_acpi: WARNING: sysfs attribute hotkey_enable is deprecated
> and will be removed. Hotkey reporting is always enabled
>
>  Any thoughts?  I've reported it to launchpad.

Something is accessing an attribute it shouldn't.  It won't damange, or
otherwise cause problems in any way for now, but we need to track down what
is causing it, because those attributes are going away soon (2.6.33 or
2.6.34).

Look in the kernel logs (/var/log/kern.log).  When the access happens,
thinkpad-acpi will log what is being accessed ("hotkey_enable"), whether the
access is over sysfs or procfs (in this case it is sysfs), and also the PID
of the process that did the access.

As soon as you get the PID, run "ps PID" (e.g. if the PID is 1235, run "ps
1235", and report back.

Note that if the process doing the access is short-lived, you might have a
difficult time tracking it down, as you need to run that "ps" command before
the process goes away...

  Henrique Holschuh