[ltp] [CALL FOR TESTING] users of hda-intel, thinkpad-acpi and kernel > 2.6.30

Jonathan Pritchard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:46:19 +0000

On 03/11/09 10:03, kionez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> seems that with new ALSA version ( starting frm kernel 2.6.30) we loose
> the beep functionality on our thinkpads. Probably, as Henrique de Moraes
> Holschuh write in this ML, is related to "ALSA switching the HDA
> mixer+codec to "digital beeps" or whatever, which is incompatible with
> the signal path used by the firmware." [1]
>
> I would like to collect some test in order to report them to alsa-devel
> mailing list.
>
> So, make sure that:
>
> - you have an hda-itel soundcard (according to thinkwiki these chips are
>  installed into R/T/X/Z 60 [2] and R/T/X/Z 61 [3] )
> - the laptop is running on AC power (and not on battery power)
> - thinkpad-acpi is correctly loaded into kernel
> - alsa mixer and volumes are set correctly (i.e.: Beep is not mute)
>
> then, the first test:
>
> Try to generate simply three beeps with thinkpad-acpi:
>
> # echo 2 > /proc/acpi/ibm/beep
>
> as root, or with sudo
>
> $ sudo sh -c 'echo 2 > /proc/acpi/ibm/beep'
>
> and now the second one:
>
> Try to detach power chord, in order to produce the two firmware beeps
> that notify the switch from powerline to battery.
>
> Please report here the results of two test ( do you ear beeps? :P ) ,
> the distribution you're using and kernel version ( $ uname -a ).
>
> Many thanks for collaboration :)
>
> k.
>
> 1)
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2009-November/047805.html
> 2) http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1981HD
> 3) http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1984

Hello,

I think I'm running hda-intel (perhaps it was on my T61).

Anyway I'm using a T400 Thinkpad, running Fedora Linux 11, with
2.6.30.9-90.fc11.i686.PAE kernel.

My smolt profile is here:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_9940d6f1-5115-4ce7-831e-4b90895eacc6

But it's the ICH9 chipset and I'm running the latest BIOS.

This is the list of 'alsa' packages I have on my system:

rpm -qa "*alsa*"
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.21-2.fc11.i586
alsa-lib-1.0.21-3.fc11.i586
alsa-utils-1.0.21-2.fc11.i586
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.21-3.fc11.i586

_I hear both beeps._