[ltp] No HD spindown with 2.6.32-rc

Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:29:57 +0100

Hi folks,

I used to use a patched noflushd to spin down the SATA disk in my X61s
after inactivity up to 2.6.31.  I get a high number of wakeups and
frequent spinups with this setup and 2.6.32-rc, so I disabled noflushd
and tried laptop-mode.  However, I can not get the disk to spin down.
I also tried it manually, set the spindown timeout to 20 seconds
(hdparm -S 4), and watched the blockdump output for possible reasons
which keep the disk active.  No success.

If I issue a hdparm -y /dev/sda command, the disk spins down and also
keeps this state over several minutes. Any hints how I can get
automatic spindown after the disk is idle?

Regards,
Tino