[ltp] high disk temperature Issues in T23

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:33:09 +0000

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Paul Seelig <pseelig@rumbero.es> wrote:
> Well, in first place it shows that disabling APM in order to get rid of
> the death of click issue as has been introduced as the recommended fix,
> so far, just lets another problem surface, which is the unfortunate
> temperature increase. The most relevant challenge is to find a proper
> balance between an excessive load cycle count and exaggerated heat effects.
>
> I have no idea about how to find out the APM settings in WinXP, as i am
> not well acquainted with this OS. I tried to check it with a win32
> version of hdparm, but it doesn't show any values for the -B switch. Is
> there any other way to properly check this in WinXP?
>
> Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>> This is really interesting. It shows that this click of death thing is
>> still very present. I wonder what the APM settings for Windows are?
> --

This is a really thorny issue from what I've gathered. When this was
discovered, everybody was passing the ball around till finally Ubuntu
picked the issue up and from there all other distros adopted it.

In the end, the setting should depend on the drive. My drive is always
with -B 254 and while it is way hotter than the previous one it still
never passes 45C (strangely my previous drive was 7200rpm PATA and it
was cooler than my current 5400rpm SATA).

But how can we do it? Its not possible to test every drive which comes
into market... What really bothers me is that supposedly Linux is a
safer operating system than Windows - I find it respects your data way
more than Windows and its stabler for desktop and server. But that
kind of all goes way if it ends up screwing up your hardware faster
than Windows. We have to keep in mind that excessive heat kills a
drive as fast if not faster than load_cycle_count!

On the Windows APM thing, I asked because fortunately I don't have
Windows installed but I should try it in a couple of days just out of
curiosity.