[ltp] Re: HDA-Intel and Beeps

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:31:54 -0700

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 20:52 +0100, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> Finally, I started configuring my new X200s today. Remembering the
> discussion about beeps on this list, I checked and did, indeed, observe
> the same problem, i.e. no beeps generated through pcspkr or snd_pcsp,
> respectively.
>
> The simple workaround, it turned out, was to make sure that the
> power_save parameter of the snd_hda_intel module was set to 0.

Kudos on figuring this out.  Very interesting.  Testing this solution
on my T60p didn't work, unfortunately, but the root of the problem may
still be related.  Looks like the alsa-base.conf currently shipped in
Debian testing doesn't set power_save (and adding a line to set it to
0 explicitly had no effect).

You may want to let your distro know, so they can consider the effects
of setting power_save by default (although if you are using Ubuntu
there are already a few other problems reported, e.g. #382140 and
#452343).

I added a note to the ALSA bug report, in case it may help the ALSA
developers to track down the problem.  Not sure if you might want to
report an additional bug about this (presumably unintended) side
effect of power_save or wait for the existing beep bug report to be
solved.

Again, well done and thanks,
Kevin