[ltp] Screen problems with my A21P

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:02:54 +0000

Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> Trying to find out why my screen turns blank after one to two minutes
> after booting.
> At first I thought it was something caused by my Linux (Opensuse 11.1)
> but the same happens by the reserve Windows XP which is installed but
> which I seldom use.
> By blank I mean the screen turns black. Tried to work with an extra
> monitor but the Fn F7 does not seem to function.
> When I leave my Linux with Ctrl Alt Backspace I enter the init 3 phase
> which is visible for one to two minutes.
> At boot time I can see everything but even if I let the grub menu stay
> on, it turns black also. Console does not solve the problem.
>
> Now looking for a program or a clever step by step manual with which I
> can start trying to find out what is bothering my workhorse A21P. Hve no
> real problem to open up the case but would like to know where to look.
> By the way, is it perhaps the cmos battery?Should a low battery not give
> a warning at boot time?
> Need all the help that the list members can give me ;).

I use and have 2 A21P's, great machines so well made.

Theres a known fault on some that develops over time. its the memory
connectors that need reflowing.
this leaves everything running , but it  doesnt work!.
It can be done in situ ,ie no need to dismantle it , by a skilled techie
by accessing the connectors via the memory cover.He runs the tip of the
weller along the connectors . Thats enough to reflow the solder..
 with a 10x lupe you can sometimes see the hair line cracks in the
solder connections.
Keep usposted.
 Ted
 In Dorset