[ltp] T400 battery life

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:57:59 +0000

Hi all,

what is your battery life and power consumption under Linux for a T400?

With my 6-cell battery I'm able to get it down to 12w with wired
internet and 16w with wireless on, which translates to between 3h and
4h30 battery life.

The tweaks I use:
-bluetooth always off
-fingerprint reader always off
-wake on lan off
-express card and pc card modules not loaded
-ultrabay (dvd-rom) ejected
-usb auto suspend on for all connected devices
-dirty_writeback_centisecs to 1500 (powertop tweak)
-SATA at min_power (powertop tweak)
-hdaps driver disabled

I have the Intel X4500 integrated graphics and the 250-nit LED screen
which I usually leave a 70% brightness. I do not use laptop-mode as I
feel its not a good idea for my data.

Any other tweaks you might recommend?

BTW, does disabling fingerprint reader, wake-on-lan, pccard and
expresscard in the BIOS work for you? I have mine disabled in the BIOS
but Linux detects and loads the modules for all of them (and activates
wake-on-lan) except for the fingerprint reader.

Thanks,
Pedro