[ltp] Jaunty on Thinkpad R51

Lucas Bxxx linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 18:14:01 +0900

Hi,

sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks for all the help.

I checked my Xorg.log and both the RENDER extension and the open
source radeon driver seem to load perfectly. The fglrx driver did not
work, I read somewhere that they removed support for my card in some
earlier version. The old versions will not work with my X.org version.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from Ubuntu. Windows XP was significantly
faster, but that might be just because the ATI drivers are that slow
on Linux and X.org itself is usually slower than the Windows stuff. So
it might be that what I'm experiencing is not unusual, but I still
wonder why X.org is by far the most active program on my processor
(when browsing with firefox for some hours, Xorg used 200 minutes of
cpu time, while firefox, usually pretty cpu heavy itself, is at 40
minutes). Displaying top keeps a nice cpu usage of 20% :). So, if
noone will have another idea during the week I will have to switch
back to Windows XP.

Greets, Lucas

PS: Actually I can even watch movies on this thing. Only some basic
gui elements like scrolling are really slow. X.org/GTK at its best?

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009, Richard Neill wrote:
>> >I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty on my Thinkpad R51. Everything worked out of
>> >the box, but the 2D graphics performance seems to be really slow.
>> >Resizing, scrolling and other graphics operations are really slow.
>
> Are you sure you're using accelerated 2d, with the RENDER X11 extension
> active? =A0If you don't, that might be your problem.
>
>> I think that all the ATI graphics cards are cursed. You might try
>> the R51 page on ThinkWiki to see if there is a better solution (eg
>> fglrx?), but here is what I do:
>
> Actually, the older ones in the IBM ThinkPads do work fine, both with fgl=
rx
> (which is no better than the nVidia binary blob at doing braindamaged thi=
ngs
> to the kernel and system, so I personally don't recommend it), and with t=
he
> open X.org drivers.
>
> Which doesn't mean they'll be fast if you do the wrong 3d thing to them, =
or
> if you use the wrong X.org accell backend. =A0On a T43, EXA works fine, a=
nd so
> does light OpenGL. =A0 The R51 is older, but I would be surprised if the =
ATI